Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fun Stuff

Here are a few web pages that provide a more lighthearted look at sexuality and sexual identity. I have a list of such websites that are out there, but won't post them up until I've checked them out myself. I will post at The Transitional Blog whenever I update this page though, so those of you who don't use RSS feeds won't miss out.

Venus Envy by Erin Lindsey
An entertaining comedy/drama about a young man Alex who is adjusting to his new life in a new town as Zoe. A colourful cast of characters (including Larson, a young hispanic FtM) surround her and ensure that something interesting happens every day.

As with most artists just starting out, the artwork is a little dodgy at the start, but gets much better by the mid-2005 strips. There are a lot of "fillers" (as well as artist's days off) between main storyline plots, which is alright when going through the archives, but can be annoying if you're waiting with baited breath for the next strip to be published. I especially liked that the strip addressed a lot of little issues about being transsexual, a crossdresser, homosexual and/or bisexual without being depressing. Word of warning - if you're particular about grammar and spelling like me, this might not be the strip for you. I quickly developed a twitch from all the stumbling in the dialogue.

My Life in Blue by Zan Gullo
My favourite online comic strip! In a time where most young artists are heavily influenced by the manga invasion into mainstream, Zan offers us a refreshing strip with exquisitely drawn characters. The trade-off is that Zan isn't exactly as prolific as a lot of other internet comic artists out there. IMO it's all worth it anyway, as quality is never sacrificed simply for the sake of getting another piece of the storyline out.

The main player in the original run is Alex, who finds himself surrounded by a host of unique and queer characters at his new school. Each character tends to draw one in, teasing and tantalising the reader before revealing "their story". I don't want to reveal anything about any of the characters, so I won't say anything more than that there is a resident FtM in the posse. Also, if you're as impressed as I am with Zan's work, check out his Science Fiction and Fantasy pieces at Elfwood. Even his doodles are great!